I used this blog name because I hope to write about how the British media constantly misleads the country into seeing itself in a particular way. Through skewed facts, feeble logic and pure mendacity Britain's media feeds the nation with a view of the outside world and foreign cultures that is harmful to us as a country.
Being a Russophile, I find it especially interesting how Russia has become a Jungian archetype of everything Britain opposes, whilst in some regards it has come closer to some supposedly British ideals than the modern British governments are. Still, I always welcome disagreement. I even like disagreeing with myself.
Could Britain achieve the self-congratulation that follows cowardice were it not for the warped reflection of Russia it shows to its people? Who knows? But Britain is not a secular country. Atheist yes, but its media and politicians believe in a certain creed and ignore all evidence to the contrary. These are articles of faith in modern Britain:
1) You are a supporter of Capitalism and Freedom if you support the free market. That this means buying vast goods at credit from a communist dictatorship is beside the point
2) A few centuries ago some British landowners wrote Magna Carta. We privatised most industries. Thus Britain is free and liberal. Any facts to the contrary are to be ignored.
3) CCTV cameras reduce crime.
4) Privatised transport is the best in the world.
5) Russia is a dictatorship under the perennial grasp of Vlad 'the bad' Putin.
6) We have a two party democracy.
7) There is a 'special relationship' between Britain and the USA.
8) The Russians are 'jealous' of the Brits. This is obvious because a Russian crook was poisoned.
9) If you disagree with the received wisdom concerning the 'Hitler' of the moment, then you are 'Chamberlain'.
10) Faith is only valid if it is in atheist ideologies (which of course have had such a perfect record).