Sunday, 11 October 2009

Mystic Greg



Given that it's not infrequent that I do daft things (like running in sandals with a fork in my mouth) I find it interesting just how often I am right about matters political.

Either I have some particular gift. Or most 'political experts' are demented. Take Georgia and the recent EU statement that Saakashvilli was to blame for the conflict. I was spot on about that, when practically everyone else in Britain was wrong, purely because I thought that bombing civilians and attacking them with tanks was a pretty rough thing to do.

Maybe it is similar to the way I seem to be psychic when it comes to clothes (I remember when shellsuits were fashionable, and I knew they wouldn't last) and idioms (I always knew the insult 'dip***t' harmed the speaker more than the target).

The way I see it, people as a species have little interest in logic, being wise or being right and not being stupid. They just do what other people do and say what other people say. That is why political journalism is such a farce. I'm sure most of these people are smart enough and in their heart of hearts know they are speaking bullshit. But to paraphrase Machiavelli it is better to be wrong than be unpopular.

Incidentally, being right isn't always comforting. This is what I wrote a while back on Sublime Oblivion:

'I can see England turning into a 80s South American style nation with a generalissimo and his plutocracy going through barrios in bullet proof landrovers'

Seems the Tories are getting Gen Richard Dannatt into their cabinet. In a sign of how turgid and idiotic modern Brit politics are, I noticed that the genius Chris Grayling called it a 'gimmick' when he thought it was the other centre right party that had done it. Grayling's previous claim to fame was saying that crime in Britain is like crime in that TV show he doesn't watch.

For more bemusement, look at the hilariously titled Editorial Intelligence awards. Best polemicist shortlist consists of David Aaronovitch (anti-nationalisation Iraq war supporter) Johann Hari (anti-nationalisation Iraq war supporter) and Richard Littlejohn (anti-nationalisation Iraq war supporter). Isn't it a scream? It's like having a Best Mechanic Award where the shortlist consists entirely of people who've been convicted of criminal negligence and manslaughter.

However, whilst going with received wisdom is not the best way to be right, I do think that David Cameron will be the last Prime Minister of Britain (or the United Kingdom as it is officially called). Never has there been such a shower of misguided, disorganised idiots in line to take power. Despite hating kilts, cabers, bagpipes and supporting a 0 child policy for people with ginger hair, I'll probably be voting SNP in the next election. Choosing which neo-liberal, neo-con America-adoring idiots get to run Britain will be a mug's game. Whilst Scotland is sadly becoming a little version of England, I think there are sufficient numbers of switched on geezers to decide that enough is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Johann Hari was an Iraq war supporter? I'm quite surprised. I was under the impression he was one of the lefty anti-colonial types. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is sentimental and wicked*. I think he saw the whole thing as a bit like the trolley car thought experiment. If you use bombs to destroy the reign of the mass-murdering bloke in the army surplus jumper then you'll save life in the long term.

    I actually sympathise a bit with Pat/Justin/Taki in seeing the Iraq war as a lefty sort of thing inasmuch as it was sold as a utilitarian measure to get rid of a mass-murderer and install enlightenment liberalism. But of course Dubya and co didn't care in the slightest about that and just went to grab the oil. So the modern left ended up helping the right whilst ruining their own 'credibility' at home.

    *Apologies to FM Dostoyevsky, but I do love that epithet. It applies to about 90% of political types.

    ReplyDelete